Friday, August 1, 2008

Flying by the Seat of Our Pants
We left for the valley Wednesday morning. By the time we got to Austin to drop Hailey off Hurricane Dolly had hit and Uncle Jim had no power. This meant all plans were off and we quickly had to revamp our vacation. As we were driving into Austin Nana called the hotel we were planning on staying at on the way home to see if we could change our reservation. Unfortunately, they could not. Which this was the story for about every hotel in San Antonio unless we wanted to pay $250 + per night. It seemed that everyone fleeing Hurricane Dolly fled to San Antonio.
I called Stephanie who lives in Uvalde and asked if she had any ideas. She suggested the town Castroville which is the first town West of San Antonio on 90. She gave me the name of a hotel and so I called. Well wouldn't you know it but they had a wedding and the whole place was booked. So the nice lady on the phone gave me the # of a few B&Bs. Jeremy and Papa were a little skeptical of a B&B. They didn't like the idea of staying in someones home that we don't know and sharing their bathroom. I called the number anyway. When the sweet old man on the line told me that a room would be $75 a night Nana and I were sold. We could never have found a hotel that cheap. This of course added to Jeremy and Papa's skepticism. They thought that any place for $150 was going to be a dump.
When we got to Hailey's house we went online to check this place out. I have to admit the pictures made me a little scared. All of the pictures were really small and didn't show much. I checked my email so I could pay through paypal. When we looked at the price we were all confused. For two rooms a total of 4 nights it was only $320. So in fact the total was $75 for two rooms. Now I think we were all skeptical and worried about what we were getting ourselves into. We searched some more for hotels and finally decided that if we got there and didn't like it we could try to figure things out.
When we pulled up our spirits began to lift. This was the cutest town I've ever stayed in. A man from next door came out and took us to OUR OWN HOME next door. Yes, that's right we got an entire house to ourselves for 4 nights. The fridge was fully stocked with milk, bread, and all sorts of snacks and goodies. The beds were AMAZING and the house was totally kid proofed. Gage and Molly just ran circles and had a blast. They loved the goats in the neighbors backyard. Another huge bonus was that it was only 20 minutes to Sea World and downtown. So if your ever looking for a place in San Antonio opt for Castroville and stay at the Three Cedars Ranch instead. It's great! http://www.threecedarsranch.com/
So with this vacation, that we never thought was going to pan out, we made lots of wonderful memories. We went to the San Antonio Children's Museum and the River Walk on Friday. Then on Saturday and Sunday we went to Sea World which I highly recommend. There is just too much to do it all in one day. I was so proud of Gage riding the big boy rides however, if asked to ride them again he would reply with a very polite. "No thank you!"
Gage and Molly were both great on this vacation. I am already beginning to plan next year's. Amy, I hope your all settled in PA by next summer cause Sesame Place is high on our list!!

Jeremy and I had shirts made too!
The front living room
Kitchen

sun room
sun room


Bedroom one
Bedroom two



family pic at the Children's Museum




I had to take a picture of Molly's curls. The humidity made them really tight.






3 comments:

Haddock Happenings said...

We'll be ready and waiting for you!!

I've been telling Glenn we need to find some kids up here to borrow, because I'm itching to go to The Crayola Factory. He said, "You have to have kids to get in??" :)

Luft Family said...

That house is way cute! We need to go stay there next time we go on vacation. I am glad ya'll had fun!

cmjj said...

Traci, we live 30 minutes from Sesame Place!!!!!!! You have to let us know if you come this way next year!